From: Phillip Slawinski <pslawinski@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 6:51 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Odd VTTC Streamer Behavior

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 17:13, <futuret@xxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a common problem with VTTC's in staccato mode
when producing the single sword-spark.  If the timing
of the staccato trigger signal is not quite right it can
contribute to this.  Also the type of power supply
can affect this (how many level shift caps, etc).
Various tuning, coupling, grid-feedback issues,
etc., seems to affect it also.

It may help to sharpen
the breakout point, or raise or lower the breakout
point relative to the toroid, also.  The tip of your
breakout point may be burning and getting dull
and rounded.  Since the behavior seemed to occur
by itself, it may be due to the breakout point
rounding from burning over time.

John,

I think you're right about this.  I had noticed the tip had become quite
rounded and had attempted to to sharpen it, but I guess I just didn't
sharpen it enough, and then to top it off I melted it with some CW runtime.
I should get a tungsten breakout point, ha!

I tried a sharpened piece of wire as the breakout point and it does seem to help quite a bit. However, past 100V the discharge still does the forking
thing.  The sound also changes from a thud to a throaty popping kind of
sound. I had this coil throwing out 34" sparks, and now I'm nearly a foot
off of that.

John