Re: [TCML] Odd VTTC Streamer Behavior

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 17:13, <futuret@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a common problem with VTTC's in staccato mode
> when producing the single sword-spark.  If the timing
> of the staccato trigger signal is not quite right it can
> contribute to this.  Also the type of power supply
> can affect this (how many level shift caps, etc).
> Various tuning, coupling, grid-feedback issues,
> etc., seems to affect it also.
>
> It may help to sharpen
> the breakout point, or raise or lower the breakout
> point relative to the toroid, also.  The tip of your
> breakout point may be burning and getting dull
> and rounded.  Since the behavior seemed to occur
> by itself, it may be due to the breakout point
> rounding from burning over time.

John,

I think you're right about this.  I had noticed the tip had become quite
rounded and had attempted to to sharpen it, but I guess I just didn't
sharpen it enough, and then to top it off I melted it with some CW runtime.
I should get a tungsten breakout point, ha!

I tried a sharpened piece of wire as the breakout point and it does seem to
help quite a bit.  However, past 100V the discharge still does the forking
thing.  The sound also changes from a thud to a throaty popping kind of
sound.  I had this coil throwing out 34" sparks, and now I'm nearly a foot
off of that.