From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of tb3@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tue 10/14/2008 11:00 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] How does a DRSSTC work?

Hi Steve,

Great work, especially for someone who does not know why it works.

The main difference between a drsstc and other tesla coils, is that the voltage on the tank capacitor is built up in steps during the discharge cycle, instead of pre-charging the capacitor from a high-voltage source already at the desired voltage.

The H-bridge introduces a step voltage onto the tank circuit.  The feedback attempts to determine when the tank voltage reverses.  At that point, the feedback signal flips the H-bridge to introduce another step voltage to the tank circuit.  Each new step is additive, and the tank voltage continues to rise.  When the discharge begins, the energy will start to be drained from the tank circuit.

The 4HV Wiki has a nice section on the workings of the drsstc.  Have a look there.
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Dual_Resonant_Solid_State_Tesla_Coil

Here are some other links you may want to look at;
http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/design_resource.htm
http://www.drsstc.com/

Cheers.