[TCML] Opening an inspection port on a pole pig

I recently purchased a Westinghouse pig with a tap changer switch inside. There is no external handle for it.

It came set for the lowest voltage, and, naturally, I'd like to switch it up to the highest voltage. ;o)

There is an oval access cover in the lid measuring perhaps 4 x 8", with a flat thumb screw in the center. I figure this is an access to allow oil filling, and perhaps tap changing without pulling the whole thing out of the tank. However, the unit has been freshly painted over, and the thumb screw doesn't turn (at least not easily).

Before I go and break something, can anyone tell me the proper method to open the inspection cover? Does the thumb screw drive a quarter turn latch mechanism, or does one unscrew it completely to get the access cover off, or is the cover plate just held in place by a spring clip? I'm betting on the first design, but thought I'd ask before applying the ChanneLocks to it and likely breaking something. Not that I plan to do it anytime soon, but out of curiosity, how does one pull the core out of the tank? I assume that it all hangs from the cover, as there is a robust lifting ring in the center of the lid. I don't know if there is anything that holds the cover to the main body of the tank, or if it just relies on gravity to keep it together.
Thanks in advance.

Dave