RE: [TCML] Frequency generator to tesla coil

Hi guys.Chris does that mean you can use a Ham or Cb radio linear amp will drive a primary and considering they can push 10kw(Biggest Ive heard of) 1000W  use 50amp switch mode power supplies and 10kw run good on 2* 180amp car batteries and they go from khz to mhz range. Good coil? If it is Ill get one and try it! Gareth

-----Original Message-----
From: "Chris Swinson" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 11.10.2008 15:35
Subject: Re: [TCML] Frequency generator to tesla coil

Yes and no,  if you have a amplifier genuine audio power of say 500watts,
and then the amplifier had no upper cut off (normally 18k to 22khz area)..
then if the amplifier output stage could cope at a constant cycle without
overheating.. then yes it could be possible, but I somehow feel you will end
up killing a lot of amplifiers... if you want something simple, build a
H-bride output stage.. Its only a few diodes/mosfets...

 http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/hotstreamer/sstc/sstc.htm

second picture down is the H-bridge.  Though the 2 small transformers were
latter replaced by mosfet driver ICs (direct drive). a lot easier and IMHO a
lot better than isolation transformers.

HTH
Chris