[TCML] Resistive ballast

I just thought of an Idea to make a resistive ballast for my 4 mots but I might not need it seems our 240v outlet can handle mots without ballasting.Use a stove plate and 6 way switch to adjust the power use of the plate that is in series with the mots primary and add a direct line switch when plate is off.This can also be used with a power factor correction capacitor.How does that sit with you guys?Good plan?At least you could control it better than direct power up?Thanks Gareth