From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: 05 October 2008 18:32
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC building - some questions

Hi Thomas,

I don't see a reason why you couldn't do this if it's just one or two
caps at the ends. You must however consider the voltage division in the
series string.

Say you use 11 of the .15uF 942C series caps. As you know, Ct = .0136uF.
Also say you have 10000Vp across the string, then ideally you have 909V
across each cap as Vc=Ct/C x Vt.

Now parallel parallel cap with #11. You still have 11 caps in series
with the last cap pair having a value of 0.3uF.

Ct ends up at 0.0143uF.
The voltage across the first 10 caps in the string increases to 953V and
the voltage at the paired caps is 476V.

Should be ok from a voltage standpoint, but it's important to evaluate
the voltages seen across each cap.

V1=Ct/C1 x Vt,..... V2=Ct/C2 x Vt, .... etc...

However, don't put too few of caps in series. 11 caps isn't much and may
put a decent voltage stress across each cap. Also, the voltage seen
across the remaining non-paired caps increases significantly with fewer
caps in a string. Hopefully, your using a low peak voltage as in the
example.

Trying to tweak capacitance can be difficult compared to simply
adjusting the primary inductance. The slight difference in C with a coil
isn't important. It's easier to ball park the needed capacitance and
adjust the primary.

Take care,
Bart

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Thomas.Ryckmans/TeslaStuff#5253637874954130130