Re: [TCML] Generator question

S&JY wrote:
No doubt some of you own generators to power your coils and other appliances
when commercial power is not available.
I hope at least one of you can answer the following question:  For
alternators in the 3-5 KW range, typically they have a 240 volt outlet and a
couple of 120 volt outlets.  Suppose I wanted to have 120 volts at twice the
current available at one of the 120 volt outlets.  Are there two separate
alternator windings that can be paralleled (4 wires brought out), or are the
two windings series-connected together internally and only the center
connection and two hot leads (3 wires) are brought out?

The two generators I've looked at (both Hondas, one was a ex6500, I don't remember the other) had the single winding with a centertap. I'd guess this is pretty common.

Jim