From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of bartb
Sent: Tue 9/30/2008 10:45 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Any thoughts on this coil package?

Considering the labor and time to build the completed coil, I would say
this is a very low price. Although, I'm not sure why anyone would want
to buy a coil when they could have fun building their own :-P
(thilly rabbit).

If I were to manufacture and sell coils even similar to this one, my
selling price would have been quite a bit more. When you consider time,
labor, material costs, and then factor the profit margin, coils get
expensive (workmanship should also be factored). Even the DRSSTC pcb is
expensive unless high volumes are involved. And then there's pcb
component assembly to factor. The secondary wire, form, winding,
coating, etc.. Cheap toroid but still labor intensive. Primary is easy
(but still labor intensive). Cap (not sure of) but costs are certainly
associated. It's amazing he is selling this coil at this price. His
feedback is excellent, so kudo's to whoever is selling this DRSSTC!

There are of course markets for professional coils which Resonance
Research and KVA Effects mainly direct their sells force, but for the
average Joe there is a market also (and if it wasn't for the internet
and eBay specifically, this market would be non-existent except in the
back of novelist magazines). So my hat is off to this seller (for
however long it last). Probably not a place to establish a business as
I'm sure there will be more and more coilers selling "their own" coils
as we go on. Competition (a buyers market) will force lower prices until
there's no reason to even be in business with the product.

My personal feeling is that if a coiler is selling their own
manufactured coils, then add up time, labor, and material costs and
ensure a 70% standard margin like any other "profitable" company would
do at ""minimum"" (especially in a nitch market). There should also be
an adjustment for "quality". For example, compare a Rolex and a Timex
(two different markets, two different qualities, and two very different
list prices, yet they both perform the same function). Each has it's
market so both companies are profitable.

These are just my opinions (dime a dozen), but I think this coil is
being priced to sell quickly. So, it is probably a great buy for those
that choose to buy a coil rather than build one themselves. Weird post.

Bart