Re: [TCML] rotary gap disk

In a message dated 11/30/08 3:40:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
workshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Whatever the design that Jay adopts, I believe the 1/4" Lexan  shattersheild
>is great advice for all non-machinists to follow. My  plastics shop
(Plastics
>Depot in So. Cal.) has a 3/4" sheet of Lexan  with all sorts of bullet
damage
>from several weapons (38cal handguns  up to Mk-11 and M16 rifles). It is
>simply amazing what this material  will withstand in terms of impact
>strength.

1/4" Lexan will stop a .38 Special 158 gr LRN, or  .a 22LR.

    But it's been discussed here before that ozone and  UV can degrade Lexan
quickly. Something to keep an eye on (and another good  reason to avoid it for
a disk material).

    Can't argue with the 1/8" steel box idea for  safety!

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities
AOL.com.