Re: [TCML] rotary gap disk

I've only built one rotary gap.  The one I built was sort of hacked
together.  I made a 5" disc out of a cutting board, and press fitted it on a
fractional horsepower fan motor.  The motor speed was about 1650 rpm, and I
had eight flying and two stationary electrodes.  I used 1/4" brass screws
with acorn nuts on the end.  While I don't remember having any trouble with
the flying electrodes getting hot (all the way up to 2400W) the stationary
electrodes became smoking hot after about 40 seconds of run time.  I used a
blower to keep them cool, but I never could get the gap to perform well.  It
could have been that the brass vaporized too easily, or it could have been
that the spacing between flying electrodes was insufficient.  The bottom
line is that the gap was awful.  I would be more apt to use proven designs
at this point instead of trying to do it the cheap way.