Re: [TCML] Tesla's spinning egg of Columbus

Gary,

So it did to me last time the subject was up, but I was informed that when the fields from adjacent windings oppose each other, the resultant field leaves the core quite freely. As in Television Tube deflector coils.

Ed Phillips answered it, so I don`t question the  answer.

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2006/Oct/msg00152.html
Cheers, Finn Hammer"

   Wish my wife trusted me the way you do!!!!!!

Ed

Easy way to think about the subject. Wind two coils around separate vertical iron rods and connect them so that when current is fed through them the north or south magnetic pole is facing in the same direction for each. Now put a piece of magnetic material across the tops and bottoms of the rods. The magnetic field will flow across the gap between these horizontal pieces. This will form a rectangular magnetic structure. Now replace all of the iron pieces with a continuous coil [toroid if you will] of magnetic material and the fields will be the same. I seem to remember pictures showing that Tesla used a similar configuration. Works with any pair of coils on opposite sides of the ring so the setup can be run two-phase, three-phase, or whatever.