[TCML] Re: European Coil

Unfortunately there wasn't room in the shipping container to bring the 120L coil to Robodock2007. Instead, my task was to melt a 40ft aluminum bridge, using a Boeing jet engine mounted to a pallet jack:

http://srl.org/shows/robodock/images/sd/pages/_MG_1924.html

It worked.
http://srl.org/shows/robodock/images/jb/pages/IMG_1160.htm

125kVA... You will have plenty of HV trafo capacity for future upgrades!
Processing the 125kW through a rotary gap could be a challenge, however.

I sympathize with the logistics involved in moving such a heavy rig. Although an xfmr->rectifier->reactor->primary design is very reliable [The 120L has used the same xfmrs and reactors since 1990] I've moved towards replacing the RSG with silicon, and replacing the 60HZ magnetics with HF resonant converters. The power supplies and primary drives for 1/12 scale NLL prototypes are now small enough that I can carry and lift all of the components onto a tailgate by myself. Here's a pic of the setup:

http://www.lightninglab.org/progress/90L02.jpg

The power supply/control system [beige box I'm hiding behind] weighs about 40kg. The primary drivers are mounted on each primary coil. Of course, the circuit complexity is now much higher, but so far the reliability has been good. GL

Arjan van der Schee wrote:
Thank you!

Yes i was on robodock 2007. I was there on the first day with opening ceremony, so i misted the big end show of SRL. I sort of expected you there too, but since there was no lightning or tesla's acoording to the organizers i figured you would not be there.
In 2006 we performed there with maxiEMM, very nice place to perform !! There are some pictures and links to yuotube films on our website.
The whole plan was to have the premiere with EMM++ on Robodock 2008. When it turned out the festival was not gonna be, luckely Nemo turned up as an excellent place to do it. Only a month later and just around the corner of where robock usually is helt.
EMM++ is quite straight foreworth. A fuse and relay box. A big ass 125KVA 10kv 3 fase transformer with a "soft start". 3 fase bridge rectifier. a Hv relay, A DC reactor and a arsg.
So nice everything is basicly to heavy to lift, so you don't get temped to lift it yourself :) So another heavy transformer is no problem at all.

Nice to hear your opinion on the toroid. We thought of many different ways of making it. The finite element method in my opinion is just the most convenient and good looking way to built a big toroid.

BTW, the same weekend we made it to tv with our coil, the mythbusters episode made it to dutch television too.
Gl with NLL
Arjan