Re: [TCML] small ionizing source on top of toroid

Frosty wrote:
I remember reading once that it is thought that natural lightning can
achieve such huge 'spark lengths' at relativley low voltages because of
avalanche break down from (ionizing) cosmic rays. Does any one know what
sort of energies/radiation intensities would be required to actually cause
runaway break down on the tesla coil level? I dont think americium would be
too effective because it emmits alpha particles (I think), which cant go
more than a few cm in air.

Cheers,
Jesse

Hi Jesse,

The problem with natural lightning is that, even though immense voltages are present, the measured E-fields (before breakdown) within storms are not sufficient to trigger avalanche breakdown. Without this initial stage, the following stages (streamers, stepped leaders, return stroke, etc.) that eventually culminate in a lightning bolt, will never develop. Extensive atmospheric cosmic ray showers (EAS) and, more recently, lower energy background cosmic rays have been proposed as possible sources of large numbers of high energy secondary electrons that can "run away" in the presence of ambient E-fields.

"Runaway" electrons require an initial energy of 100 keV or higher, typically in the range of ~100 keV - 10 MeV. When high energy cosmic rays collide with our atmosphere, electrons can be generated from the decay of daughter particles, electron-positron pair production, Compton scattering, bremsstrahlung, and collisional ionization. Here's a web-accessible paper that describes one of the theories:
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/~jgladden/phys510/spring06/Gurevich.pdf

Certain radioactive isotopes undergo beta decay that generates electrons (or positrons) that could trigger runaway breakdown. An example would be Phosphorus 32, a high energy man-made beta emitter, where the electrons have an average energy of 0.69 MeV and a maximum energy of over 1.7 MeV. These electrons can travel up to 20 feet through air, and they'll also generate high energy X-rays if the specimen is placed near a dense metal foil.

If these relativistic electrons are released near the surface of a TC topload, the ambient E-field might be sufficient to support runaway breakdown and spark breakout at lower output voltages than normally required. However, as Dave mentioned earlier, it would also be potentially quite hazardous from a radiation safety standpoint, even if you could obtain the appropriate isotopes and meet regulatory/safety criteria.

Bert