Re: [TCML] Identifying an unknown current transformer

David Speck wrote:

List,
I recently scored a set of unmarked Amprobe clamp-on current transformers. I'd like to be able to calibrate and use them. If I just measure their DC resistance, they come out to about 20 ohms each. I know that if current is passed through a CT without a burden resistor into a high impedance voltmeter, that very high voltages can be developed at even low source current levels. I guess that I could start with an external burden resistor of, say, 1 ohm, and work upward, and see what kind of voltages I get for a known currents through the detection loop. I just wondered if there was a more elegant way to determine electrically whether I have a plain inductor, or a parallel inductor / resistor pair inside the "black box", and, if there is indeed a burden resistor present, what is its value.
Thanks in advance,

Dave

Those transformers are intended to have a relatively low-impedance ammeter as the secondary load. If you don't have one you can use your external resistor of 1 ohm and measure the ratio of the voltage across it to the current through the wire it is clamped over and that will give you the current ratio. If you measure 1 volt [hence one amp] through the resistor with 10 amps in the wire you'll know the ratio is 10:1 [10 amps in primary wire for 1 amp in secondary circuit], etc. As long as the secondary load resistor is small enough to keep the maximum voltage to a couple of volts you should be OK. The current ratio [1/turns ratio] will hold for any secondary load which keeps the voltage below core saturation.

Ed