Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 2:37 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Audio modulated coils: where to start?

Hello everyone.  My name is Curtis Cherry

Let me start out by saying that I have not ever actually built a tesla coil, but I have been researching them for over a year now. I have concentrated on the SSTCs because I too intend to audio modulate some day. If fact my interest in tesla coils was spurred by the video of Steve Wards DRSSTC2 on you tube playing super mario brothers.

As I said Ive never built a tesla coil but I will share the info I have learned. Most of the info comes from Steve Wards site www.stevehv.4hv.org Just click on musical tesla coils.

There are 2 basic forms of audio modulation. Amplitude Modulation is the first type. It works by changing the duty cycle of the output of a coil while it is oscillating at its resonant frequency. This changes the amount of total power going into the coil. Changing the amount of power going into the coil changes the volume of plasma being produced which in turn causes the air to contract and expand. This creates pressure wave that we hear as sound. This technique works the best with a CW(Carrier Wave) coil. The amount of total power in CW mode is quite considerable and I am not sure if anyone makes silicon that handle the amount of power it would take to make 2 foot sparks for any considerable amount of time. This type of coil is capable of faithfully reproducing audio.

The second method of audio modulation is PRF (Pulse Repetion Frequency). This coil fires "bursts" of plasma out at certain frequencies to create pressure waves. This type of coil suits itself well to any pulsed type of tesla coil such as DRSSTCs. This is the type of coil you want to build if you want big sparks due to the lower average power output, but the audio is quite a bit more harsh and doesnt lend itself to playing "complex" tones. Steves coil runs off of a microcontroller to create the pulses but it would work just about as good to use a "zero-crossing" circuit hooked to a keyboard or any other audio source.

You can also get some good info from A guy names Dan McCauley (Sorry if I spelled it wrong). His site is www.easternvoltageresearch.com He sells TC driver boards if you dont want to start from scratch. He also sells audio interfaces that can work with any type if SSTC. And boards for an audio modulated coil called the "plasmasonic".

Please keep in contact with me throughout the process of planning and constructing your coil so that we can share ideas and information. I have accumulated all the parts to build my coil and will start half-bridge construction soon. Good Luck to all.