Re: [TCML] power meter goes crazy -- Addendum

David, There is a nice new analog PF meter up on eBay as a "Buy It Now". Only hangup is that it is in England, but the price is very favorable if the shipping isn't too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobut-Generator-Set-Power-Factor-moving-coil-0587_W0QQitemZ220064331572

Dave
====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====+====
David,

Digital electronic devices have a hard time working reliably with TC
applications.  Most of us prefer good old fashioned analog moving coil
or moving vane meters -- they are much more immune to the RF
interference produced in copious quantities by coils in operation.

If you watch eBay, you will see analog power factor meters come up
periodically.  They rarely go cheap, but they are much more RF
resistant, and would probably provide the sort of information that you want.

Dave

David Nelson wrote:
I have a cheap electronic (digital) power meter (about A$40). I put it in line with my 750W tesla coil (15/50 NST). Current varied from 3A to 8A - NST is rated 3.6A. Power varied from 700W to 2200W and power factor varied wildly from 30% to 80%. Does this seem right. Is it because of the nature of the meter? Interference from the coil? (about 4 meters away - 12 feet) Any comments?
I can't help thinking that a PFC will actually help me out. I know this is a can of worms but even with all the discussion I am still uncertain about the need for a PFC cap. There are conflicting opinions I think. Any (definative) advice for NST use would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
Dave Nelson