[TCML] power meter goes crazy

I have a cheap electronic (digital) power meter (about A$40). I put it in line with my 750W tesla coil (15/50 NST). Current varied from 3A to 8A - NST is rated 3.6A. Power varied from 700W to 2200W and power factor varied wildly from 30% to 80%. Does this seem right. Is it because of the nature of the meter? Interference from the coil? (about 4 meters away - 12 feet) Any comments?

I can't help thinking that a PFC will actually help me out. I know this is a can of worms but even with all the discussion I am still uncertain about the need for a PFC cap. There are conflicting opinions I think. Any (definative) advice for NST use would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
Dave Nelson