Re: [TCML] Climbing Arcs

Hi Ken,

You're right, the arc climbs because it's hotter and less dense than the
surrounding air. I've had no problem making the small NST powered ones work, but
at higher currents the middle of the arc tends to rise faster than the ends.
It  grows in length but hardly ever makes it to the top of the rails, even
when set  close. It seems to get stuck along the way and doesn't want to climb
smoothly.

Does anyone know if the smoothness of the rail's surface or the zinc  coating
would have anything to do with it?

Thanks,

Tony G

In a message dated 5/27/2008 8:47:52 A.M. Central Daylight  Time,