RE: [TCML] Taming the Beast: Inductive Ballast vs. Variac, PFC

Before going too much further, consider this.

If using a .03uF cap with a 120BPS SRSG and a 14.4kV xfmr, your theoretical maximum power throughput is:
120BPS * .5*C*V^2 = 120 * .5 * .03E-6 * (14,400*1.414)^2 = 746 Watts
You can use the biggest baddest pig available, but that cap and gap can't pull any more power than above.  This is why pig-powered coils typically use async RSG's - to permit higher break rates and pull more power.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA