RE: [TCML] "Phantom Streamer" Photographs

Hi Jeff,

Foremost, I agree with Terry, in that what really counts is how pretty the picture is, and yours are very!

I believe what you are seeing is what I had referred to as a stable streamer - see 3rd from last image on http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm.  I've only witnessed these on lower powered coils.  Text from my web page:
"Above shows something that I rarely see on other coils.  When there is a grounded target just out of striking distance, the usually chaotic streamer(s) will occasionally coalesce into a single, sinuous, un-branching, slowly writhing streamer, lasting 1-5 seconds at most.  The sound generated is more stable and louder than normal as well.  In the photo, there is a basement lally column 10" away from the toroid, and there will be a brief strike to it every 30 seconds or so."

The fact that these stable streamers move more slowly than the normal chaotic streamers will naturally make them appear brighter and more evident in a photo.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA