Re: [TCML] pulse cap specs

I was going off a search in the TCML archives regarding this particular cap.
From 11/21/06

Much has been discussed concerning the infamous 37667 maxwells.
I think the general consensus is that these are 1 pulse/sec caps, and
therefore are a bad choice for coiling. Many list members report
blowing them up. I bought 5 of them a few years ago in preparing
for my big coils. I ran a pair in series with an NST powered coil,
and had no problem, most likely because I way underrated them.
Anyway, since another 'new' coiler just purchased a couple, it might
be a good idea for Terry, to post a warning on the list index about these
caps, so more of us don't unknowingly buy these, only to blow
them up. What do others think?

As we read further into the numerous posts on this cap, it looks like the voltage reversal is the real issue.
There have been problems with this cap according to the archives and even some successes.
Looks like lower than 15kV systems have ran ok in some cases. In others, even the 15/60 killed it.

Matt, thanks for correcting this. I should have read further into the archives than a couple posts. I told
Douglas I don't use Maxwell's and others on the TCML would be better at defining if the cap was good
or not. But then I stumbled across a bunch of not so good info on this cap and relayed the
info to him. I didn't want Douglas to blow $99 on a useless cap. I still think it's junk as compared to an MMC, but
maybe not completely useless if as number of them were series connected.

Take care,
Bart

Mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Bart, The spec sheet Douglas posted shows 500 PPS rating for this particular cap. I would be concerned about the 50% max voltage reversal and the 15% rated reversal. This could lead to early expiration. We also don't know what service it has seen for the last 9 years.