Re: [TCML] variac

Hi Kris,

Variacs are not easy to find. I would recommend checking out surplus electrical and electronic businesses that you might be near you. Back in MN, I found a surplus electronic place that had a warehouse of all kinds of junk. As walked the isles, I stumbled across 3 metal boxes with a big knob. I opened up one of them and in there was mounted a 28.8A variac (Powerstat). I purchased two of them at $50 each. Bought a couple smaller 12A variacs for about $20 each. Funny, I walked in there looking for a video card for my computer not realizing they had an entire warehouse of all kinds of junk.

I can't remember the name of the place or it's location (near Minnetonka I think), but you never know what you'll find at surplus electronic businesses, and sometimes, they don't realize what they have in their possession..

Take care,
Bart

Kris Grillo wrote:
I'm looking for a 240V variac in the 30A to 50A range. I have been watching ebay on and off for about a year and a half without much luck. It seems that on the few occasions I have seen them for auction I have been broke or I get outbid. I need to get in around $300. If anyone has one or knows where I could look for one, please contact me off list.