Re: [TCML] bipolar coil

Hi David,

Better! Funny you mentioned Ed Sonderman's spreadsheet. Javatc started as a spreadsheet adapted from Ed's spreadsheet many years ago. But, Ed's spreadsheet can't account for high frequency changes in L or C, the toroid size and position affects, lead length inductance, etc... but it still gets you in the ballpark regardless. For those functions, you have to be able to run integrals and that's when programming is a better way to go. I could have used VB I guess, but I chose scripting since it could be put on the web and then didn't require the Excel program to be loaded on the pc. Just a browser with JavaScript capability which was free for all regardless of the users location on the planet. Simply put, that was the reason I chose JavaScript and wrote Javatc.

Regarding the twins, the coils would actually resonate at 408kHz and using a .035uF cap as you show, the primaries would end up at 1.4 turns each and largely because the lead length inductance is very significant on these twins due to their small size. This is why I was stating to use a cap size even smaller. Probably the smaller the better (from a tuning standpoint) as long as it remains outside of nst resonance.

I wonder if Ed is still coiling? He's probably still working at the golf course I guess. Ed was very helpful to me when I started coiling. I really enjoyed my correspondence with him. One of the nicest coiling men I've had the pleasure of talking with.

Take care,
Bart

David Dean wrote:
Hi Bart

Yes I screwed up calculating the resonant cap size.
I failed to use parentheses in the calculator. Got 25.1nF.

Let me try once more. Just rough and dirty, of course.

9000V / .060A = 150000 Ohms inductive reactance.

1/(150000*377) = 18nF resonant cap size. Better.
Double that gives 36nF.
Using 3 strings of 13 CD 942 150nF caps to get close
35nF.

Secondary 2.375" dia. X 11.85" winding length @ 84.8 tpi
gives 5.0 H/D, 10.4mH, 4.8pF by Ed Sondermans spread sheet.

Toroid 3" X 12" 13.3pF and resonant frequency 367kHz.

Primaries need total of 5.5microH to resonate @ 363kHz.

Primary ID 4.88", tube diameter 0.125", 0.25" spacing needs
7 turns for 11.7microH each. Again from Ed Sondermans spread sheet.

A little better.

later
deano