Re: [TCML] Preparing acrylic coil form

Hi David, yes it would be a problem. In my case, I don't have internal discs. Just a top cover that pops off easily. The reason I wipe down the inside is because the bottom side is open, so dust gets inside. As long as your inside is sealed, then there's no need.

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Hi Bart,

I was just wondering, wouldn't it be rather problematic to wash
down the INSIDE of the secondary coil form, especially if it's
equipped with the often suggested internal baffle discs? It seems
that the inside would not be touched under normal circumstance,
anyway, if you're concerned with sweat salts residues from
handling. Dust does tend to collect on everything in my shop
and I simply blow it off the surfaces of my coils with an air
hose.

One other thing to consider when using solvents to clean platics.
I know from personal experience that you do NOT want to try
wiping down polycarbonate (Lexan) with any acetone based
solvent, as polycarbonate is quite soluable to acetone! You will
nicely "etch" the surface of your lexan if you do clean it with acetone!

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "bartb" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Preparing acrylic coil form

Yes, even after coils are wound and have served well over the years, it's still a good idea to wipe them down before running. Every now and then, I use soap and water and wash the coil inside and out. Don't just remove the dust, also remove the corrosive residues.

Sounds like a magazine article: Your Coils Health (LOL!)

Bart
Antonio is correct. Acrylic is an excellent HV insulator as long as someone
with slightly sweaty hands has not handled it.  Detectives rely on this
principal to get fingerprints for their investigations.

Dr. Resonance