Re: [TCML] first coil help 2 - schematic with counterpoise

Hi Thomas,

You need at least 8, preferably 10. At peak voltage, your looking at 8400 volts, but your NST will periodically exceed. You don't want your MOV's firing too often. Terry used 1.7 to 1.8 x Vp. So, 8400 x 1.8 = 15120. 15120/1800 = 8.4 MOV's. 8 would be minimum (and since it's protecting, 10 would be maximum). The basic idea is that you want the MOV's to fire if the voltage is too high, yet you don't want them to fire too often. This is why Terry specifically showed a specific number of MOV's for various transformer voltages. Your 6kV is of course odd and not part of the mix.

Keep in mind that MOV's will degrade over a number of firings. This circuit is using MOV's for protection in Tesla Coil service, however, we don't want them firing needlessly. I personally would opt for 10 (5 per side).

Bart

Ryckmans, Thomas wrote:
Hi,

Chip has added some pictures here:
http://www.pupman.com/current/tryckmans/index.html)
Is the wiring scheme okay? I am especially curious about the
counterpoise wiring - not sure I got it right

I have used EMI filter as described by Gary Lau and a Terry Filter,
planning to use MOVs at 2X the rated voltage of my NST, e.g. 2x6000V =
12kV hence 6 1800V Movs - is this enough?

Many thanks, as usual, for comments and tips

Cheers

Thomas