Re: [TCML] laminations

In a message dated 3/26/08 2:24:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
neal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Thank you everyone for your input on laminations. From a transformer
standpoint, it was just a matter of curiosity for me, but from a practical
standpoint, I am more curious about its applications in ballasting. For  the
moment I've been experimenting with ballasting mots with mots, but  down the
road I hope to get a pole pig eventually. But before I do, I want  to have
the necessary parts in place to be able to control the pig.  Getting back to
mot's, though, what kind of amperage can one expect to be  able to push
through a mot, safely, before things go up in  smoke?

You might try limiting to not over 2X oven rating. 800  W=  1600/120 <13 A,
 1 KW = 2000/120 < 16 A, 2 KW = 4000/120 < 32  A etc.
Oil immersion allows more.

Matt D.

(Many folks go with 80-90% of what burned up their last one)  ;^)))

 I think before I go too much bigger I'll have to run a new line  to my
workbench.
 Right now it's fed through a 15 amp breaker, though I can push it  for a
couple/few seconds at 20ish amps before tripping.
 Thanks again for your help and  info,

Neal.

Home.