Re: [TCML] secondary variable frequency

In a message dated 3/26/08 8:09:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>But as far as a cap between ground and the bottom secondary,
>the capacitance of the coil and the "new cap" would be in series.
>This would decrease capacitance and increase frequency.

What if the "new cap" had a significantly higher  capacitance than the
existing equivalent capacitance of the secondary and  topload? wouldn't the "new
cap" then predominate?
    This is one of the issues I'm mulling over in the  "discharging a DC cap
through the secondary" experiment... And even with a  small cap of the same
order of magnitude as the secondary and topload, the  connection of the small
cap to the bottom of the secondary must have a  significance beyond just adding
to the overall capacitance.

>Now if an external cap was in parallel with the

>secondary then the frequency would lower (excluding all obvious hv  issues).

Could one run a "transmission line" from the  topload to another toroid some
distance away? And then use breakouts on this  second topload to force it to
act as the main discharge point? Seems safer and  easier than a magnifier
configuration, but with all the spacing  benefits. Plus easier to make and
transport two separate small toroids than  one big one.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

Home.