Re: [TCML] Primary coil supports

Hi Steve,

I have used wood (my 8.5" diam. coil and my 13" diam. coil). But, I didn't simply set the primary winding on the wooden runners. I first put the runners in the oven and dried them out (I used oak), and then varnished. After drilling holes through the runners for tie down, I also cut acrylic strips and set those on top of the runners. I haven't had any problems, even at 10kva pig power.

Here's a quick photo where the acrylic runners are visible.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/tgk/21.jpg

Here's a 10 year old photo (back in Hopkins, MN) using the same primary (and why I stopped using strike rings about 7 years ago). Also note the banana holders holding up the hv lines (early days).
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/bart/5199-17.jpg

So it can be done. I've arced through wood like everyone has mentioned, but it really doesn't take a lot of standoff distance to prevent wood arcing issues if the wood is sealed, so yes, wood can be used (just be smart about it).

Take care,
Bart

Stephen J. Hobley wrote:
Is wood a bad choice for primary coil supports? I see a lot of plastic being used, but I seem to be able to work more cleanly in wood... Also can I enamel the primary coil? Wood and shiny copper has a nice 'Edwardian' feel to it... Furthermore - when building an MMC - is perf board OK to mount the caps? Or is there something more suitable? Steve Stephen Hobley Photography
www.stephenhobley.com
317 201 4281
The Laser Harp Project - www.stephenhobley.com/build