RE: [TCML] Bending acrylic

There are some interesting methods used that I've found on the internet. But more specifically, the heat must be applied slowly with increasing temperature, and electronically (no flame or gas due to the water vapor) using heating elements. "Draping" for very simple shapes up to the use of vacuum to draw the material down on more complex shapes. I think temperature depends on the material, but it ranges from 250 all the way up to about 350ºF in order to soften it up enough to conform before cooling off too quickly.

(un)Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Bogard
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:16 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Bending acrylic

Hey guys,
     Since we have had a few machining/finishing questions on here
lately, I figured it would be ok to ask; is it possible to bend acrylic
and get it to hold it's shape.  I want to make a curved piece of
acrylic, and it seems fragile and wants to crack.  I'm assuming you need
to heat it, but how hot, using what kind of heat source, etc.  Thanks in
advance.

Scott Bogard