Re: [TCML] BPS Testing

In a message dated 3/16/2008 3:48:02 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>If I  run the numbers with faceplate transformer values, then 82 bps. I
>was  expecting about 95 and got 104. Higher, but reasonable. The 120V
>test  last week was 1.143 higher, this is 1.268 higher. So firing rate
>increased by 11% after bumping the voltage up to 140V. This could be
>ferro resonance or maybe some low voltage arcs occurring due to enough
>ionization around the electrodes to allow low voltage breakdowns. The
>higher energy at 140V should enhance this situation. The light can't
>distinguish the energy level, it only knows breakdown occurred. Also,  as
>the frequency of breakdown is increased at 140V, this should also
>enhance low voltage breakdown occurrences increasing the overall bps
>even further.

Take care,
Bart

Bart,

You're using a static gap not a synch rotary gap right?  The static  gap
probably can't draw as much power through the NST as a synch rotary  can.
I can't remember what kind of gap I was using when my re-potted 15/60  NST
drew 25 amps.  I also don't remember how much power Gary's 15/60  drew
back when he was using the static gap, but I know the sparks were a  lot
shorter than they are now.

John