Re: [TCML] BPS Testing

In a message dated 3/13/2008 8:50:39 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>This is important!!!  One thing to notice is that every time  that there are
several smaller bangs occurring >in quick succession, this  ALWAYS happens
following a point where the cap voltage charges almost to  >Vgap, but doesn't
quite make it, then goes back through zero and soars to  Vgap on the other side
of >zero.  I'd bet a Maxwell that the NST is  cranking out a lot more current
from the previously unspent >bang, and with  the gap still hot from the
initial full-voltage bang, the breakdown voltage is  diminished.  I >definitely need
to repeat this while also scoping the  charging current.

Gary,

Yes, that would be the notorious voltage reversal mode of operation  that we
discussed
years ago.  I was able to set some of my rotary gap systems to run
continuously in
this mode.  It was incredibly inefficient with a horrible power  factor and
it quickly
destroyed the small 9kV NST that I was using.

John