Re: [TCML] DC base driven coil

In a message dated 3/12/08 4:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>If I remember correctly, the base of the secondary connected  directly to
the HV-side of the DC-
>charged cap. There was not a separate isolation cap.  The  capacitance of
the cap was so large
>relative to Fo that it had no impact on the tuning of the  coil.  AC-wise,
the cap looked like a short
>circuit.

In that case, we're talking about at least a coupla  uF? And all the base
current of the secondary flowed through this cap to ground?

    What ratings would a cap like this have to have?  Ten of the CDE .15/2kV
942 series in parallel would handle the current, give you  1.5uF, and would
obviously be suitable for the frequency. But what voltages  would they see?

    Since the streamer grows with each bang, how does  the DC cap "know when"
to discharge? Does its charging supply add to streamer  growth?

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities