Re: [TCML] DC base driven coil

In a message dated 3/12/2008 9:12:25 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
colin.heath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I have just read through the archives and see that the idea is to  run the
>coil as standard then allow the arc to discharge caps to  ground.

>I am sure however that when I saw the pictures that there  was no primary
>involved at all!!! Was it perhaps a magnifier so I only  spotted the
>tertiary?

>Cheers

>Colin  Heath

Colin,

I had posted some information about Lou Balint's coil back  when
he did the experiment.  I don't remember offhand if it was a  magnifier
but much of Lou's work involved magnifiers, so it's very  possible.
In any case Lou said back then that if the DC cap didn't have a  lot
of stored energy in it, then the thicker sparks would only be seen
when the sparks hit a ground.  But if the DC cap had more  energy
in it, then the sparks were thicker even for free-air sparks.   When
he ran the coil at a Teslathon, it had the smaller amount of energy
on the cap because some component had failed (or something)
just before the Teslathon.

Cheers,
John