From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 11:30 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Toroid size

Hi Jim,

I'm thinking 6" x 30" would be about right. This gives a decent smaller diameter but not too big. The 30" outer size is due to the coil size.

You are apparently running a resonant cap size with the transformer. Why?

Take care,
Bart

Jim Calvin wrote:
I have just finished a building a medium sized tesla coil.  It uses 9KVA @
120ma.  It has an 8" x 33" secondary and uses a dual tungsten spark gap
with
a fan.  It has a primary tank capacitance of .0346uF made from an MMC cap.

I tried running it with my 30 inch toroid that I use on my big coil
(7.8KVA,
7 feet tall).  I know this toroid is too big for this coil but it is the
only one I had available, besides my 12 inch toroid which I believe is too
small.  With no breakout point I got nothing.  When I put a breakout point
got about 2 foot arcs.  Now I expect to get about double that with the
right
size toroid.  So my question is: what is the proper size toroid for a coil
of this size and power? (18 inch, 20 inch . etc).