From: bunnykiller <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:54:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Polishing Lexan (small, recessed areas)

Hey Daniel...

how important is it to maintain the cut "quality" of the pocket?  are
you going to need a tolerance fit to mate with the pocket or is it going
to fall under cosmetic appearence?  If it is only a cosmetic value, then
flame polishing is your best bet to get the surface to go back to a
clear finish. You will lose the sharp edges from machining the pocket
but you will get the clear coat as in unmachined lexan. Be careful on
the time of flame contact, it can invoke surface bubbles on the lexan.

MEK leaves a milky finish as the same as Acetone, which will eventually
lead to "crazing/alligatoring and yellowing" in months to come. Other
than that, a labor intensive option is to use a Dremel with a cloth disc
and a mutiple barage of fine grit pastes to finally get to the clarity
you need. Altho this system is good, it can be an issue if you have a
less than delicate touch with the Dremel. gouging and "burning" are the
main issues with the Dremel....

Re-think your needs and priorities when it comes to machining
Lexan....   its awesome stuff  but it can be a monster to return to its
original state after cutting...

Scot D