From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Peter Terren
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 7:46 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] top load and photography (tripod grounding)

That was me. I do it because I was sometimes getting a little tingle when I
touched the camera when I am standing behind it suggesting the camera is
above earth potential. I don't want that voltage sparking onto the screen or

eyepiece or plastic on button which could damage the camera.
If you are trying to avoid "unseen leaders" then you are expecting the
camera to be floating at many thousands of volts. Not safe at all.
Secondly, if there was a camera strike while I was holding the camera (I
don't get that close), then I would be protected and not the path to ground.
I stand by my decision to earth the tripod.

Peter