[TCML] No-load NST's

Changing the subject line...

Yes - I too have heard many times that running an NST with no load will stress its insulation beyond what it was designed for.  But it does seem unlikely that an NST should be designed to self-destruct should its connection to the load fail.  So being the skeptic that I am, I have to wonder about the origin of that belief.  Did it come from a source in the sign or transformer industry, or just a coiler who observed that an in-use NST with a sign operates at well below its faceplate voltage?

Gary Lau
MA, USA