Re: [TCML] Variac

> Isn't it a bad idea to ramp up the voltage with an NST?

It may be... But it never stopped me!  Running NSTs overvoltage is pretty much a common practice, it may shorten the life, but that aspect never stopped me from dialing up as high as the variac and line voltage will permit.  Remember, there is voltage drop when the current is flowing.

The reason I like a variac is because it gives you a smooth ramp up to full power. Just throwing the switch closed really puts a stress on the entire system, and that will do more harm than running a well tuned coil over voltage.

Richard