Re:[TCML] New Coil Pics

Hi Ed

   Thanks very much for the compliments on the coil .You are correct. I made the insulating disk from fiberglass mat and resin in an 8 inch cake pan , and bolted the aluminum ring to it. The cooling of the spinning electrodes is very good . I can run the coil , turn off the power and by the time the disk stops spinning the electrodes are just barely warm .

  Mike

  Beautiful work.  Am I correct in believing your RSG has an aluminum
 disk carrying the electrodes supported at the center with an insulating
 hub?  Every time I read notes like "G-10 BLISTERING" I wonder why more
 guys don't make their gaps this way - better cooling by far, no worry
 about material strength, etc.  It was a common technique in the
 pre-1920's era of spark transmitters.  Often the gap part was cast and then
 machined.

Ed