Re: [TCML] two or more

> can i mount two or more cores in the same box without some kind of magnetic interference

Yes.

> and also if i fire them up dry will they freak out and short out or something without the tar insulation

They last longer if they are repotted in wax/rosin/oil, but you can (and should) dry fire them in a short test before potting. I used to fire them dry on coils after unpotting them, and as long as you have decent filter and safety gap in place they will run. But they won't last long if you push them, especially if you overvoltage with a variac which I routinely did. In then end, I decided the best practice was to submerge them in oil, or repot with wax or rosin. There are advantages and disadavanges either way... But I found a tupperware or similar type storage bin filled with oil worked best for me in the end. I had one unit with four transformers wedged into it under oil with the terminals coming up thru the lid.

Richard