Re: [TCML] Are safety gaps necessary?

Yes indeed!  I'm thinking only about the static gap scenarios.  For pigs, however, this probably means air-blast or "sucker" types.  Thinking more about those gap types makes me wonder if the tendency there will be to effectively set the gap too wide by accident--maybe even most of the time!--since cranking up the air flow and hence the pressure in the gap is equivalent to widening a non-pressurized gap.  That may be a source of some unexpected performance with those gaps.  In such situations, it is also probably helpful to have a protection device with a more constant breakover voltage, both to guard against things like primary strikes and also human error.

So I suppose I've convinced myself that safety gaps are worthwhile in all but the wimpiest, most unusual endpoint-gounded NST scenarios sans actively quenched gap.