Re: [TCML] Terry Filter MOV heat

Mark -

  This is abnormal.

  The observation that only some of the MOVs are warm is even more abnormal.

  Are you certian that you are using the correct number of MOVs for your transformer output voltage, that all the MOVs have the same voltage rating, and that your filter is wired correctly?

  Can you provide links to photos of your filter assembly that show the layout and interconnections between all the components?

  In a correctly configured Terry filter, all the MOVs are in each leg have approximately the same "breakdown" voltage, and are connected in series, so they should all be dissipating the same amount of power. However, they should only be conducting IF you apply a voltage higher than the breakdown rating of the string, so verify number of MOVS and MOV voltage rating first.

  Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Mark <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi,

Quick question for someone I hope, I've just finished building my Terry
Filter and when setting the safety gap noticed the MOV's nearest the
ground rail get very hot, so hot you can't touch them, is this
normal ???

Regards

Mark