Re: [TCML] ok you got me

Hi Doug,

Spark length in the transformer section of Javatc is based on power. This is the John Freau equation with some efficiency factors based on secondary diameter (and smaller diameters still need work to get right). If transformers have the same "power", you will get the same spark length number. How does this value fair with the spark length numbers in the static or rotary sections for both transformer powers? Did bps go up or down? The reason I'm stating this is to show that there is more to look at in Javatc. But for the most part, yes, power and spark length go hand in hand, but coil performance to achieve that spark length is not always equal. Gap losses and rate of hv pulses affect performance, and it's different for static gaps and rotarys (350 bps on a rotary is nice, but not nice on a static gap).

For a static gap, it's wise to stay above 100 bps and say below 200. For a rotary, you also want to stay above 100 bps, but you can also do well at higher bps levels than a static gap. Losses are why. There is a loss factor involved in the gap spark lengths, but it is an average. There are just so many possible efficiencies with gaps, that it is literally impossible to tell who's gap will do well and who's won't. The whole tank has losses as well, but the majority seems to be in the gap (which the tank affects).

So, whenever you see a spark length in a program (Javatc, Wintesla, JHCTES, whatever,..) think of it as "an achievable" spark length value or goal. Some have done miserable, and some have beaten the numbers.

Power and sparks: Apply more power and you will get longer sparks. Change from an NST 60mA to a PIG 700mA transformer and you will get longer sparklengths. However, compare to identical different PIG coils, and your back to efficiency. Compare a low voltage pig and a high voltage pig which output the same power, and your still going to have an efficiency issue as based on the mechanical changes needed for the voltages and currents.

Take care,
Bart

douglas smith wrote:
OK you got me what i was trying to get at with obviously the wrong words my bad
was i guess that with javatc i seem to get the same spark length with
15000v/30ma as i do with 7500v/60 nst so why worry about trying to figure out a way of putting them in series instead of putting them in parallel to double the current . it seems to have the same result to a point.
maybe what i should have said was P=IxE  and was referring to  wattage and seems to be the same when comparing both with javatc it seems to have the same results.
my humble apologies if i am wrong and thank you for correcting me as not to mislead myself or another.
one of the cool things about doing this i its a learning process.
maybe if they would have done something like this while i was in tech school
inductive reactance and capacitive reactance would have been more interesting.
i found digital electronics much more interesting.
after all these years and there are many I'm just now starting to understand this stuff
thanks