[TCML] confused

all this talk about hooking  ac transformers in series has got me really confused.
i always thought  that you could connect DC output transformers in series
but not AC.
i know that there is some kind of circuit that allows you to do so but just
putting two nst's in series sounds like trouble to me.
why would you want to anyway?
in designing some 15 different possible coils with javatc it seems to me that
a higher voltage is not always that necessary.
example: i would get the same spark length and power factor with using a
15000 v @ 30 ma as i would with a 7500 v @ 60 ma
of course I'm no expert the math just seems the same (P=I x E) and also with javatc
I'm sure that there is a limit on how low you can go with the voltage vs. current
but it does seem to me that the major rule of thumb is the power factor.