Re: [TCML] New SISG failure mode

In a message dated 6/14/08 2:36:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Yes, this is a worry for me. I'll be running 0.06uF which is rather
>small and will allow a rather high bps. I expect some  problems.

    If you ballast heavily enough that you can  only supply enough power to
charge the .06uF at a reasonable rate, you can  keep the BPS down to wherever
you want  it.
    At least with such a small cap on a big coil  you'll keep the peak
primary current down.

>Something else I've been contemplating: If a strike hits the  primary,

>this may be a serious issue for the SISG. I haven't used strike  rings in

>many years, but I'm considering it for the SISG coil. Any thoughts  on
>that? Funny, I was the one that stopped using strike rings way back  when
>and argued my case against them on various discussions on the  subject.

>Seems now more and more folks are heading that direction these  days. But

>with the SISG, I'm thinking it may be a good idea (if constructed

>properly to not arc to the primary if it his  hit).

The direct secondary strikes to the rectifier, SISG  itself, and things
*under* the primary are VERY BAD. But it doesn't seem to mind  secondary strikes
down to the primary itself. It power-arcs across a few turns  and stutters, but
then keeps right on going with no reduction in performance.  Probably
something that would be nice to avoid, though.
    I had to remove my strike rail because I couldn't  keep the secondary
from striking out to it from the midpoint instead of from the  topload. Not sure
why my electrostatics are so screwy. That's why I did the  "second topload to
the side" thing (with great success).

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities