Re: [TCML] Safety Gap Construction

I've found brass (and other metal) balls used as drawer pulls at hardware stores and Home Depot. They're about an inch in diameter and already threaded, making mounting easy. As easy as wood is to use as a base, I would avoid it and go with possibly an old "plastic" cutting board or something else non-conductive. Wood's lossy and does begin to conduct, I've got a few scorched pieces to prove it. For spacing the gaps, I start out by disconnecting the primary circuit completely, and leave the gap very close (credit card thickness). I crank up the transformer with the variac and start spreading out the gap(s) until it just barely, occasionally fires at pull power. (TURN OFF the power when adjusting!) After that's set, leave it there and resist the urge to open the safety if it starts firing during the tc's operation. Kinda defeats the purpose if you starting opening it up.

Neal.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicholas J. Goble" <ngoble@xxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 5:23 PM
Subject: [TCML] Safety Gap Construction

How do I construct a safety gap?  From what I see, it's just three
brass balls.  The middle one is grounded and the end two are connected
to the transformer wires.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I only have two questions:

1) Where can I buy brass balls? I've looked on the internet, but I just
can't find any.  Or maybe I don't need brass balls at all.  Is there
some other way I can construct a safety gap?

2) How can I determine the spacing of the balls? Is there any formula
to calculate the gaps, or should I just guess?

Thanks again.

Nicholas Goble