Re: [TCML] re-pot

I did at least four in my last house. All were France's except one, which I believe was a Transco. The non-France was the type that had "built-in" shunts. None stunk. I used a GE Profile gas oven. I can't believe the temp was off by more than a percent or two. At that temp it won't pour, but it will slowly ooze. Digging is more effective at this temp. My goal was to avoid odors in my wife's oven.

Since we have lotsa newbies now, I'd like to restate that some folks (not me) have had luck reviving their "dead" nst's by simply heating them to a point where the potting softens and refills the cracks. This may be because it displaces carbon tracking. It won't help if your secondary is burned in two.

Adam"

	I've had success with two transformers using essentially the last idea.  What I actually did was use a high-power hot air gun repeatedly to melt the tar around the bushing on the shorted end and keep pouring it onto a piece of aluminum foil until I exposed the terminal lead and the connection to the secondary winding and melted the tar away from them by maybe a quarter of an inch.  At that point both transformers were OK and have remained that way for years.  After they were "restored" I then heated the tar on the foil and funneled it into the original hole and then kept the whole mess hot until it appeared to have filled the void and was hot enough to exclude air. Whether that succeeded or not I don't know but the transformers ended up fully operational.

	The advantage of this procedure is that it only took an hour or so and didn't make much in the way of smells.  Worth a try since you can always resort to more drastic means if it doesn't work.

Ed