RE: [TCML] re-pot

I did at least four in my last house. All were France's except one, which I believe was a Transco. The non-France was the type that had "built-in" shunts. None stunk. I used a GE Profile gas oven. I can't believe the temp was off by more than a percent or two. At that temp it won't pour, but it will slowly ooze. Digging is more effective at this temp. My goal was to avoid odors in my wife's oven.

Since we have lotsa newbies now, I'd like to restate that some folks (not me) have had luck reviving their "dead" nst's by simply heating them to a point where the potting softens and refills the cracks. This may be because it displaces carbon tracking. It won't help if your secondary is burned in two.

Adam