Re: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

Good question.  What you want is a 120vac/60Hz neon sign transformer, AKA luminous tube transformer, AKA gaseous tube transformer.  Newer NSTs are equipped with electronic GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter).  Older NSTs don't have it.  You're better off without GFCI, so try to obtain an obsolete NST.

Avoid electronic neon sign power supplies.  These are typically much smaller, lighter, and cheaper than real NSTs.  They resemble the little corded power supply "bricks" used to power video game consoles, printers, and scanners.  They are also useless for coiling.

US NSTs suitable for coiling have standard output voltages of 4kv, 5kv, 6kv, 7.5kv, 9kv, 10.5kv, 12kv, and 15kv.  The most common output currents are 30mA and 60mA.  You might come across a 25mA or a 120mA unit, but these are far less common.

For a beginner, I suggest a unit of 7.5kv or higher, 30mA or 60mA, non-GFCI. These are reasonably common and affordable on ebay.  Read the fine print and make sure it has 120vac input because there are a few NSTs out there that require 240vac or 277vac input.  The brand is not important.  Pay attention to shipping costs though.  Real NSTs are very heavy.

Cheers,

Greg